JOIN OUR VILLAGE TEACHING PROGRAM
Volunteers live and work at primary boarding schools that cater exclusively to the education, housing, and feeding of needy, rural children. Because local education is largely rote learning, we need volunteers to feed these hungry little brains!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- teach academics, arts and crafts, structured play, music/singing, sports, and public health to primary school aged children;
- provide students with a loving, creative, interactive environment in which to flourish;
- help with cooking, cleaning, and any other daily work needed at a boarding school; and
- offer private tutoring and English lessons to kids falling behind on their school work.
Volunteers choose which subjects and age groups to teach upon arrival. They work independently to plan lessons using government curriculum and textbooks.
Please be aware that kids come with only pencils and exercise books. Bring any further tools or materials you wish to use.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM
- You love spending time with kids;
- You’ve got a million ideas on how to motivate, encourage, and have fun with kids;
- Additional activities like gardening are also happening; and
- School life keeps you young!
Volunteers are given a private room and 3 daily meals at a rural boarding school.
Meals consist of local foods, such as matooke (mashed plantain), posho (corn meal), cassava and sweet potatoes. They are generally served with peas, beans, or groundnut sauce. Maize porridge is the usual breakfast.
There is electricity but no indoor plumbing. Expect pit latrines and cold bucket showers.
School terms vary annually but are likely to be: Feb 1 to April 15, May 15 to August 15, Sept 15 to November 30.
No more than 3 volunteers are placed together in any village teaching placement.